From AMI@Work Communities Wiki
 Interoperable Collaborative Working Environment for eProfessionals
"The ECOSPACE vision is to bring together semantic and social web (Web 2.0) through a user-centric interoperability approach towards the collaborative web or web 3.0!"
ECOSPACE project is developing, based on emerging trends and distance factors affecting collaboration efficiency and effectiveness, an Interoperable collaborative working environment (ICWE) for eProfessionals in the domains of eResearch (online communities of researchers), ePublishing, eConsulting, eGovernment, eInnovation (Living Labs stakeholders) and almost everywhere professionals are applying (online) distributed collaboration.
A CWE reference architecture as well as a large set of collaboration services and tools are developed or enhanced for constituting an interoperable collaborative environment. Some of the used concepts have already been contributed to standardisation initiatives (W3C, OASIS ICOM TC).
The above figure illustrates key ICWE elements such as:
- Collaborative Distance Framework (CDF),
- CWE Reference Architecture (CERA),
- Basic Collaborative Services (BCS),
- Composite Collaborative Services (CoCoS),
- extended SIOC ontology (SIOC4CWE),
- Distributed Document Context (D2C),
- CWE widgets and CWE portal or dashboard.
ECOSPACE enables eProfessionals to get access to both, their individual shared workspace and groups or communities shared workspaces wherever they are, whenever they need it independent of organisational boundaries. For example users, will no longer think in term of IT such as:
- “exchange or upload this file,
- open an ftp session, send document as e-mail attachment,
- set-up a videoconference session”.
They will rather think in terms of activities such as:
- share this document with my colleagues involved in the approval procedure,
- or give visibility of my:
- publication list,
- research topics
to my colleagues in the professional community.
No longer users:
- need to know by heart all the details of the single collaboration application tools (functions, configurations, user management), in order to activate and use them properly.
- must learn new collaboration tools whenever they participate in a new team that uses different products.
- are drowned by the complexity of multi-channel communication in the dynamic work environment.
ECOSPACE provides the interoperability that enables users to connect their preferred tool to the global workplace similar to the ease by which today users can exchange email between different organisations, using different tools. ECOSPACE empowers users to instantly plan and monitor cooperation activities in different teams and communities using a personalised, dynamic workplace, generated on-the-fly according to the context-specific needs. To demonstrate the feasibility of the CWE reference architecture based interoperability approach, ECOSPACE has developed a Shared Workspace (SW) interoperability demonstrator between 3 different SW tools, namely BSCW, Business Collaborator and MS-SharePoint.
 ECOSPACE News
- 16 Nov. 2009 ECOSPACE newsletter double issue n°11 & 12 including the results of the Survey on Collaboration Barriers and latest project development on the ECOSPACE Tools & Living Labs is now available.
- 6 Nov. 2009 The ICT Results on the CORDIS website features an article on the ECOSPACE project entitled "Online collaboration with built-in clarity"
- 4 Nov. 2009 The ECOSPACE project had a keynote speech on "Developing Collaborative Working Environments – what can we learn from Web 2.0" by Wolfgang Prinz, ECOSPACE coordinator, at CoopIS 2009, Vilamoura, Portugal, November, 4-6 November 2009
- 7 Oct. 2009 ECOSPACE workshop at the PRO-VE’09 conference Thessaloniki 7-9 October 2009
- 7 Sep. 2009 The ECOSPACE project participated to ECSCW 2009, Vienna, Austria, 7-11 Septemeber 2009
- 6 Sep. 2009 The ECOSPACE project supported the 2nd Workshop on Open Design Spaces supporting User Innovation which took place at the Humboldt University in Berlin on 6 September 2009 in conjunction with the German HCI conference Mensch & Computer 2009.
- 24 Aug. 2009 The ECOSPACE project participated to INTERACT 2009 Workshop on Living Lab Co-Creation, Uppsala, Sweden, 24-28 August 2009
- 26 June. 2009 ECOSPACE newsletter double issue n°9 & 10 including latest project development on the Collaborative Environment Reference Architecture and Basic Collaborative Services as well as Shaping the Future of ENoLL and AMI Communities is now available
- 24 June 2009 ECOSPACE workshops at ICE 2009, Leiden, The Netherlands, 22nd to 24th June 2009
- 17 June 2009 ECOSPACE has issued a new version of the Basic Collaborative Services (BCS) specification
- 21 April 2009 The Collaborative Web Environments (CWE) workshop will be held during ICE'2009
- 16 March 2009 ECOSPACE project will participate to the ICE'2009 conference
- 10 Feb. 2009 ECOSPACE project videos are available Here
- 14 Jan. 2009 ECOSPACE Living Labs presentation at the Living Labs InfoDay hosted by the european Commission in Brussels
- 17 Dec. 2008 ECOSPACE newsletter double issue n°7 & 8 including latest project development and articles on Living Labs events is now available
- 25-27 Nov. 2008 ECOSPACE demonstration on CWE Interoperability at ICT'2008
- 01 Oct. 2008 The new ECOSPACE CWE Web Conferencing tool MARTE 3.0, developed by UPM, is available!
- 07.-10. Sep 2008 ECOSPACE at Mensch&Computer 2008, Lübeck, Germany
- 01 Sept 2008 ECOSPACE newsletter n°6 special issue on interoperability within Collaborative Environments in HTML format is now available
- 10.-13. Aug 2008 ECOSPACE at The 31st Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia, Åre, Sweden
- 25 June 2008 ECOSPACE demonstration on Shared Workspaces InterWorking at CWE'2008
- 24 June 2008 ECOSPACE Special session "Collaborative Web Environments" at CWE'2008
- 24 June 2008 ECOSPACE Special session "The Role of Exploratory Environments within Living Labs" at CWE'2008
- 23 June 2008 ECOSPACE has organised the CWE'08 at ICE'2008 in Lisbon 23-25 June 2008
- 01 June 2008 ECOSPACE newsletter n°5 special issue on Living Labs is now available either as HTML or PDF
- 30 Mar. 2008 CWE 2008, special track at ICE'2008, "Collaborative Working Environments", Lisbon, 23-25 June 2008
- 31 Jan. 2008 ECOSPACE introduction video part 1 is now available Here
- 20 Nov. 2007 ECOSPACE newsletter issue n°4 is now available either as HTML or PDF format
- 22 Oct. 2007 ECOSPACE participated to the ENoLL Launching of the 2nd Wave of Living Labs, Brussels
- 21 Oct. 2007 ECOSPACE participated to the Living Labs projects portfolio, Brussels
- 18 Sep. 2007 ECOSPACE participated to the ECSCW'07 in Limerick, Ireland
- 22 June 2007 ECOSPACE newsletter issue n°3 is now available either as HTML or PDF format
- 21 June 2007 two new electronic surveys on Collaboration Barriers and Enablers are waiting for your responses
- 13 June 2007 ECOSPACE participated to the Concertation Meeting
- 05 June 2007 ECOSPACE Workshop New Collaboration Concepts and Scenarios during the ICE'2007 Conference, Sophia Antipolis, 4 - 6 June 2007
- 23 May 2007 ECOSPACE participated to the International Workshop on Virtual Research Environments and Collaborative Work Environments
- 20 May 2007 International Journal on eCollaboration (IJeC) special issue on Collaborative Working Environments (CWE) Call-for-Papers is now open